Sunday 3 June 2007

Maikel Blanco Y Su Salsa Mayor

Maikel Blanco y Su Salsa Mayor (Maikel on keyboards)

(Yes, I'm still going on about Cuba...)
I finally found the name of the salsa band who played in Casa de la Musica the night I first took my teenage daughter to Galiano in Havana. Yes, naughty me, I passed her for 18 when she's only 14 and introduced her to a world of loud timba music, the best dancing in Havana, the raunchy dance moves of Bustamente and Yoandy who were grinding away with their latest dance pupils (who we met weeks later in Oxford), the Cuban hottie who tried to get my daughter to fall for him...and to this amazing timba band Maikel Blanco Y Su Salsa Mayor, who had us mesmerized.
Their hit son "Eso Esta" (This Is...) is my FAVOURITE salsa song to dance to. I hear this and I have to dance... Here's the video of "Eso Esta".


9 comments:

esruel said...

Pass on my regards to the photographer, Maria! Phew!!
The band weren't too bad, either...

MG said...

Yeh, okay I should get his permission...!

I nabbed it from www.timba.com where they have more of his work (by permission).

esruel said...

I meant the lady in the film! Tsk!

MG said...

Crumbs, yes! I didn't notice her at first, what with her being a girl, I was too busy admiring the sexy moves of the male singers (they did the exact same routine live, btw!).

Do you think Maikel and the photographer actually use that bed at the end...or do they just circle it until Maikel gives up and goes back to the band?

esruel said...

I certainly hope they did! Maybe there is an unedited version...
Amazing, but I love any form of dance, but can't dance, myself. Two of my favourite groups are Chic and Earth, Wind and Fire - I just listen. Shame on me lol

MG said...

God, I love Chic and EWF too. But salsa is where it's at for a real full-on dance experience. Take some lessons, es! It's never to late to learn. One of the Oxford salsa crowd, Stanley is in his 70s. You should see him dancing with pretty twentysomethings down at Club Colosseum!

esruel said...

Lol, I feel bad enough going out on the town and having my friends' daughters tapping me on the arm and insisting I buy them a drink, never mind dancing with them! Ah, that it should happen when I'm in my seventies!!
When I listen to Good Times by Chic, or Fantasy by EWF, I enter another world. I'm sure you feel the same about salsa.
Now, who teaches salsa in the north east...

MG said...

Salsa in the North (inc North east)
http://www.salsajive.co.uk/salsa_reg_cc_nt.htm

Salsa in Sheffield:
http://www.salsapower.com/cities/uk_sheffield.htm

esruel said...

Looking... shaking (my knees!)...