Monday 5 November 2007

Extras by BlackBerry


I believe I have already mentioned my adddiction to my BlackBerry Pearl. Not since the luscious Palm Vx have I been so taken by a gadget. The iPhone looks very pretty but it will take a while to convince me to part with my CrackBerry.
Meeting a group of independent, London-based booksellers last week I realise that the anecdote which they seemed to enjoy most during the after-dinner conversation was the one which followed a throaway comment of mine about how most of the 'extras' in the book 'Invisible City' had in fact been written abroad and on a BlackBerry. By sheer coincidence I kept receiving emails from the desk editor at Scholastic asking for urgent additions to the book, and was always away from home at the time.
For example: the text of the integral code which readers can track throughout the book, solve and win an iPod, was written late one evening in a bar in a hotel in Nimes, France. Not because I was drinking, but I needed peace and quiet and the hotel was very quiet at night.
For example: the Q&As (if they include them) were received very early in the morning whilst we were on the isolated, corally beach near Tulum, Mexico. I had jet lag and there was no internet access in the hotel so wound up typing out the whole reply on the BlackBerry, under the bedcovers whilst the rest of my family slept. Then I went out and finished it as the sun was coming up.
What would I do without my BlackBerry? I would miss deadlines, that's what.

2 comments:

rocrastinator said...

The blurb for the Big Woo press 'teaser' was written in my sister's spare bedroom, while small niece was toddling around downstairs complaining that I had vanished. And we wrote the back cover blurb in one of the alleys off the Covered Market, with pauses for the buses to go by. Am impressed gy you being quite so efficient, though!

Sorry for being a cabbage when you last saw me (too knackered for waords at the minute). Coffee sometime soon? Want to hear all about your presentations etc - and Mexico of course...

MG said...

Coffee soon, yes! And I like the idea of writing the blurb in a darkened back alley...
(Okay you didn't say dark, I'm embellishing here...)